EPA chief compares auto standard move to finding cigarette-cancer link

The Obama administration’s push for higher auto fuel efficiency standards was as important a scientific step as the discovery that nicotine is addictive and that cigarettes cause cancer, a top administration official said.

In an interview with the Tulane University student newspaper published Thursday, outgoing Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson, a Tulane alumna, said that her agency’s 2009 “endangerment finding,” which directly led to the implementation of the auto standards to fight greenhouse gas emissions, is her proudest achievement and represented a major step forward for public health. The auto standards are often cited by Ms. Jackson, President Obama and others as the most significant victory of the past four years in that fight against carbon emissions and climate change.

“The country finally made a finding in respect to climate change and said that the emission of greenhouse gases endangered public health and welfare,” Ms. Jackson told Tulane’s Hullabaloo newspaper. “I liken it to the finding that nicotine is addictive or that cigarette smoking causes cancer, because they’re scientific findings. Once you have that science, it compels public policy actions.”

Read more at The Washington Times. By Ben Wolfgang.

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*